Although chemotherapy is a common and fairly effective treatment for cancer patients, it causes unfortunate side effects. One of the most commonly known side effects is hair loss.
Hair loss under normal circumstances often causes distress, so when it comes to cancer patients, it is even more distressing and embarrassing. The patients try to cope by covering up with hats, wigs, and wraps, but choosing them is difficult. When thinking about what kind of head wear to sport there are a few things to think about.
The material should be soft enough so as to avoid skin irritation as cancer treatments cause skin sensitivity. And since you will be wearing this every day it should be as comfortable as possible.
One of the side effects of cancer treatment is the feeling of being cold even in warm weather so it’s important that the fabric is warm.
Finally the style of the hat, wig, or wrap is just as important. You will be wearing this every day so you want to look presentable. And generally looking good helps you feel good.
This article lists the four top options to help the patient gain his or her confidence back while also offering comfort during a trying time.
When choosing hats for cancer patients, here are some things to keep in mind:
- The softer the better. Because of chemotherapy, radiation and all it’s side effects, choosing the softest materials available can help protect you from skin irritation.
- Warm is important. Patients undergoing cancer treatment often feel cold, even in warm weather. Warmer hats and beanies will help your body retain more heat.
- Style is important too. Let’s just face it, you don’t really feel on top of the world, do you? Looking great will help you find the confidence to face the world when you really have to, even if you don’t feel like doing anything.
Here are 4 top options when it comes to hats for cancer patients:
4. Softer Than Cotton Breathable Bamboo Cap
The bamboo fabric used or these beanies are super soft and will not scuff or irritate your skin in any way. It’s a great option for everyday wear, or even to wear underneath hats and scarfs that scratch.
Level of attention: Moderate. Message: I can be comfortable and look good at the same time. Price: Almost pricey but well worth the expense. Seller: Uptown Girl Headwear via Amazon
3. I wish Women’s Scarf Pre-Tied Chemo Hat Beanie Turban for Cancer Patients
If you are a woman, losing your hair as a result of chemotherapy is more than just a mere side-effect. Us women often times also struggle with self-esteem problems and feeling beautiful. A beautiful scarf or beanie with feminine detail can help your feel more like the beautiful and strong woman that you are.
Level of attention: Average. Message: I am beautiful because of who I am, hair are not a factor that influences beauty. Price: Affordable. Seller: I Wish via Amazon
2. EachWell Women Pleated Ruffle Stretch Turban Wrap Cap
Protect your head from the sun and other elements with this beautiful knotted beanie. It’s available in various colors and will add a lot of style to your headgear.
Level of attention: Good. Message: I am beautifully protected against the sun, cold and wind. Price: Super affordable. Seller: Eachwell via Amazon
1. Bodvera Winter Knit Wool Warm Hat Thick Soft Stretch Slouchy Beanie Skully Cap
While feeling cold during cancer treatment and recovery may be common, this beanie will keep you warm by protecting your head from heat loss. It’s super soft also so that you will feel comfortable and cozy.
Level of attention: Average. Message: I am comfortably cozy and warm. Price: Average. Seller: Bodvera via Amazon